The Mechanical Engineering Department was started in the year 2010. The department has a team of highly qualified, dedicated and motivated faculty and well equipped laboratories to conduct the UG Programme as highly standard.
Department’s mission is to generate employable mechanical engineering graduates with knowledge, skills and ethics; provide them with the professional and soft skills necessary to lead a successful career and peaceful life and equip them with the confidence necessary to contribute to society by performing in their respective fields of endeavor.
The field of Mechanical Engineering encompasses many exciting subjects such as Automobile Engineering, Production Engineering, Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing, Power Plant Engineering, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Mechatronics, Automation and Robotics which are the fastest growing and most challenging technologies that enable the development of the modern knowledgeable society.
The academic mission of Mechanical Engineering is to develop mechanical engineers with application oriented knowledge, multidiscipline leaders, and technical managers for a global and diverse environment. This mission is accomplished through the pursuit of distinction in fundamental and applied research for faculty and students in an academic and cooperative environment that promotes scholastic performance, sound engineering fundamentals, strong design experiences, and personal professional integrity.
The Mechanical Engineering is a premier department educating high quality engineers to serve the diverse needs of our changing society. These include the environment, health care, and manufacturing. There are three key elements promote our success. First, the department has a well-funded, high quality research environment that is internationally regarded in key areas, attracting superior faculty and students. Second, the faculty is committed to excellence in teaching and continuous improvement to our curricula. Third, the department has strong, dynamic alliances with industry, alumni, other departments and the community.
Teaching Faculty Details
Teaching Staff Name:
Technical Staff Details
Infrastructure and Lab Facilities
The Mechanical Engineering department has well equipped laboratories enabling the students to apply and verify the fundamentals that they have learned at the class rooms. Students get a wide exposure and practical hands on training in the sophisticated equipments during their lab sessions.
Engineering Practice lab
Forging process - Smithy
Forging process - Sheet Metal
Metal casting process
Pipe line connections - Plumping
Mechine Assembly Practices
Wood Working - Carpentry
Fluid Mechanics and Machinery
Flow measurement test on – Venturi meter, Orifice meter, Roto meter setup
Measurement of friction in pipes
Performance test on – Centrifugal pump,Gear pump, Reciprocating pump, Submersible pump, Pelton turbine, Francis turbine and Kaplan turbine.
Manufacturing Technology Lab
The CAD/CAM center has been created exclusively to cater training of all students in the latest CAD and CAM softwares. The software available include auto desk education master suite-2011, Pro.5 (Pro-E) university plus edition, and edgecam, we also have the danford CNC trainers namely CNC trainer lathe and CNC trainer milling.
Strength of Materials Lab
The Unique part of CAM lab is that each and every student studying in our department undergoes extensive hands on training in CNC machines with ample space and resources needed to carry out individual experiments. The students are trained to develop real time models on the following CNC machines.
* CNC Lathe (Production type and trainer kit)
* CNC Milling (Production type and trainer kit)
This laboratory is equipped with modern instruments to conduct the following experiments which help Our students to understand the method of static, dynamic force analyses of mechanisms and the usage of measuring devices for dynamic testing.
* Experimental study of velocity ratios of simple, compound, epicyclic and differential gear trains
* Kinematics of cams, Four Bar, Slinder Crank, Crank Rocker, Double crank, Double rocker, universal joints, and Oscillating cylinder Mechanisms.
* Determination of Mass moment of inertia using Turn Table apparatus, bifilar suspension, trifilar suspension and compound pendulum.
* Determination of frequency for various vibratory systems.
* Study of gyroscopic effect and couple using Motorised gyroscope.
* Determination of range sensitivity and effort using Hartnell governors.
Metrology and Measurements Lab
The laboratory is equipped with modern equipments to conduct the following experiments which helps the students to understand the basic principles of measurements.
* Calibration of Vernier Caliper, Micrometer and Dial Gauge
* Checking Dimentions of parts using slip gauages
* Measurements of Angle using sine bar, sine center and tool markers microscope
* Calibration of force using Mechanical, Pneumatic and Electrical comparators
* Measurement of Temperature using Thermocouple and Pyrometer
* Measurement of Gear Tooth Dimensions, thread parameters, straightness, flatness, displacement, force, torque, vibration and shock
Thermal Engineering Lab - I
The main objective of this laboratory is to apply the thermodynamic laws and concepts on real time problems by conducting the following experiments.
* Performance test on a single cylinder diesel engine with electrical loading using data acquisition system
* Performance and Energy Balance test on boiler and turbine
* Morse Test on Multicylinder Petrol Engine
* Load Test and preparation of heat balance sheet on Multicylinder Diesel Engine with Hydraulic Loading
* Retardation Test to find Frictional Power of a Diesel Engine
* Determination of Viscosity-Red Wood Viscometer
* Determination of Flash Point and Fire Point of Petrol using Cleave land open cup apparatus
* Valve Timing diagram on 4 Stroke Diesel Engine and port timing diagram on 2 stroke petrol Diagrams
So the students can get good pratical knowledge about IC engines, Steam Turbines, Compressors and Refrigeration and Air conditioning systems
Thermal Engineering Lab - II
The main objective of this lab is to familiarize the students about various heat transfer parameters by conducting the following experiments
* Thermal conductivity measurement by guarded plate apparatus and lagged pipe apparatus
* Determination of heat transfer coefficient using Natural convection, Forced convection and pin-fin apparatus
* Determination of Stefan-Boltzmann constant and emissivity of a grey surface
* Effectiveness of Parallel flow and counter flow heat exchanger
* Performance test on single stage and two stage reciprocating air compressor
* Determination of COP of a refrigeration and air-conditioning test rig
Faculty members act as Reviewers in International Journals
Recognised Research Supervisors in the Department
Paper Published by Staff Members in International Journal
Paper Presentations Given by the Faculty in International Conferences
Paper Presentations Given by the Faculty in National Conferences
Guest Lecture delivered by the Faculty Members
FDP/ Seminar/ Workshops Attended by the Faculty Members
Paper Presentations Given by the Students in National Conferences
Extra Curricular Activities of Students
Paper Presentation given by the students in National Level Technical Symposium